Friday, April 17, 2009

Moving Forward

So, the medical issue has resolved itself...sort of. After hours of phone calls and multiple letters, Chris and I switched to a cobra. I can not depend on someone else as my medical is too important. While I was dealing with my fear of losing my medical, I went to the doctor and filled all my prescriptions...just in case. (I had this HUGE bag of medication. There were over 20 bottles of medication. If we were pulled over, I would have had a lot of explaining to do.) But, I got it all for under $200. If I lost my medical, I saw on the receipt, that the Cellcept alone would be $4200 a month. Did I mention the transplant alone was 500K..So, I had no choice but to take the control of my medical back. I just am so glad to get that off my list of things to worry about.

Now, on to more pressing issues. I am trying to work out the social security/lawyer dispute! I just don't know who to listen to. Social security wants a list of every doctor appointment I had from December 04 to September 05. This is very strange since I have already sent my complete medical file to both them and my lawyer and I filled out the same paperwork they are requesting March of 07. Not to mention for at least 8 weeks during that time period I was in the hospital and I had multiple surgical procedures. I called my lawyer yesterday questioning the reasons behind the dates of the doctors visits they were asking for as they did not match the dates we are appealing. I also asked why they wanted information they already had (they being both the lawyer and social security). Of course my lawyer called me back the following day when I was in with the trainer. It is so frustrating. Since Social Security said I had to have the information to them by the 17th, I have to get this issue solved by tomorrow. I feel like I am in a bad remake of "Groundhog Day". Instead of living the same day over and over in a boring town, I am living the same paperwork over and over with the same useless "help", Knowing at the end, I will wake up the next day with no more money, no more information and no more help than the day before. It is beyond frustrating. It feels like every day is a reminder of the problems with our country's medical and social security systems. I think about it all the time, and I don't know what the answer is. It is just bizarre that someone who has been healthy and worked since 15 struggles to get a program/service that she paid for her whole life. I wonder how it is for others who do not have the education or support I do. Our system is full of red tape and paperwork. It is a disaster. I just hope we come up with a better system for the generations to come.

I am tired, so more later. For now, I am off to be sad about the Sharks first playoff game. I never take playoff losses well, and without my father to discuss the game with..I am just going to go to sleep. (I hope)


Cath

No comments: